Why do you want to sell your property? Do you intend to simply find a larger property, or do you plan on moving to another neighborhood, school district, city or state? You might think your reasons are obvious, but it would do well to consider the implications of each option for your lifestyle, opportunities, and finances. Being clear about your intentions for selling will make it easier for us to determine the most appropriate option for your specified financial, lifestyle, and real estate goals.
When Should I Sell?
You should immediately establish your time frame for selling. If you need to sell quickly, we can speed up the process by giving you a complete market analysis and action plan to obtain all of your goals. If there is no pressing need to sell immediately, you can sit down with one of our expert real estate agents to thoroughly review the current market conditions and find the most favorable time to sell.
What Is The Market Like?
When you work with us, you can be sure that you will have our knowledge, expertise and negotiating skills at work for you to arrive at the best market prices and terms. We will keep you up-to-date on what is happening in the marketplace and the price, financing, terms and conditions of competing properties. With us, you will know exactly how to price and when to sell your property.
How Do I Optimize My Finances?
Deciding to sell your property demands a serious consideration of your current financial situation and future possibilities. With the help of our qualified agents, you will be able to effectively assess the cumulative impact of these changes, estimate potential proceeds of selling your property, and plan effective tax savings and estate planning strategies. We will ensure that you not only take control of your finances, but use them to their fullest potential.
Some people may consider using a for sale by owner method to sell their property. However, using an experienced realtor to assist you with this large transaction will help ensure a smooth process. Working with a team gives you maximum opportunity to maximize your sale price and help market your property with our large network. We work hard to market each property and listing effectively to give it maximum exposure to potential buyers. In addition, we work together with you to make sure all paperwork is filled out and completed properly.
What To Look For In An Agent.
Once you decide to work with an agent, there are a few factors to keep in mind to help find one that will work best for you:
- Network. One important factor to keep in mind when choosing a realtor is someone with a good network and team. Our team works together to find a match for each buyer and seller. We network with one another and with the community at large to ensure everyone finds the home that is right for them. Outside of our immediate community, all of our agents have access to eXp world, a database of hundreds of hours of online courses and training to give everyone an opportunity to learn and delve into new topics.
- Experience and Expertise. When looking for an agent, you want to make sure to find someone familiar with the area and has experience selling homes in that community. Check out homes recently sold by that agent and the way they marketed the property to make sure they will be a good fit for you.
- Availability and Commitment. Your ideal agent should be readily available and responsive to help you. They should be a good decision maker and confident with their advice. Finding someone that will reach out to you periodically to check in and fill you in on any important updates.
- Rapport. Your agent will play a big role in the sale of your property so it is important to find someone that you feel comfortable with and trust. Someone that listens to your concerns, helps address them, and guides you in the right direction.
What Is Your Property Worth?
Sellers oftentime overestimate the value of their home, which leads to a listing price higher than it should be. In the long run, this will hurt the selling process and can cause it to sit on the market for longer. Hiring an experienced professional will help list your home at its ideal value and get it sold quickly and efficiently.
What To Do To Prepare:
Here are a few suggestions to keep in mind before listing your home:
- 1. Curb Appeal.
- Making sure your landscape looks nice with upkeep can give potential buyers a good and lasting first impression. While your home is on the market, making sure a landscaper comes every week or two can never hurt. In addition, sometimes small adjustments to the exterior, such as repainting your front door can make a big difference.
- 2. Property Repairs.
- Try taking a walk through your home as if you were a potential buyer and look at your home through a new lense. This can help you figure out how others will view your home and give you good ideas of small repairs to make. For example, repainting a dirty wall in a high frequency room, or fixing a broken faucet will help improve the condition and therefore value of the home.
- 3. Cleanliness and Staging.
- Make sure to keep your home smelling good and organized. In addition, keeping the home bright by leaving on lights and shades open will help present your home in the best way. Some small tips to keep in mind: make sure all dishes are put away, the shades are open, and all toys are organized to the best of your ability. Before we list your home, we are happy to make specific recommendations as well to help to improve the appeal.
- 4. Disclosures and Inspections.
- Our agents have extensive knowledge on all aspects of the home buying process including the legal procedures involved in disclosures. We are equipped with the knowledge to help you come up with a comprehensive disclosure that will benefit both you and the buyers. In addition, we can suggest small home improvements or adjustments before listing your home on the market to ensure a smooth process.
- 5. Showtime.
- While showing a home to potential buyers might seem as simple as walking them through the home, the process is more complex than it seems. Agents know how to show the home in its best light and know how to explain the potential a home has. In addition, buyers oftentimes feel more comfortable expressing their concerns to an agent when the sellers aren’t there. Our agents take time to get to know each buyer and help narrow down their search to the most realistic options before taking them to view any homes.
Some might assume that the highest offer is the most attractive and likely to be accepted. There are many other factors sellers take into account when deciding which offer to accept. Other important factors including the specific terms and conditions play a large role as well. Our agents will help you through this process to review each offer and help you choose the best one for you.
Negotiating The Right Way.
At the end of the day, our goal is to make sure everyone is happy with their decisions. We need to ensure both parties are happy, even if that means turning down some offers that won’t be a good fit. As agents, we will work through each and every offer presented to help you make the right decision. There are some important things to keep in mind to make the process as smooth and transparent as possible:
- Keep written records of everything.
- The selling process can be a stressful time, and many verbal conversations can often be misinterpreted. It is helpful to write everything down to keep track of what exactly was agreed upon and have this signed by all other parties. Our agents are happy to help walk you through this process to ensure transparency and good communication.
- Stick to the schedule.
- Once you agree upon an offer to accept, a timeline will be crafted to outline each step in the process until closing day. It is important to keep track of these dates to make sure all paperwork required by you is complete on time.
Before closing, buyers will hire an inspector to review the property to make sure everything is working properly and up to code.
The Closing Agent.
At this point, a title company as well as an attorney will be chosen to hold the closing and to make sure all documents are in place to close.
Loan Approval and Appraisal.
When accepting an offer on your property, it is ideal to go with a buyer that has a pre-approval letter which gives you security knowing they will be approved for a loan. An appraiser will come to look at the property to ensure that the sale price is in line with the value of the home and the property.
Closing day means its almost time to celebrate, but first lets head to the closing table and make sure everything is in order: Final Walk-Through Inspection.
Before your home is officially sold, the buyers will have a final inspection and walk through the home one more time. This is to ensure everything is in the same condition that it was in last time they saw the house, and that everything has been cleaned out.
Cancel Home Services and Utilities.
Once the home is no longer yours, you will want to make sure to update your address and billing information. Our agents can provide a list of numbers to call to make sure this is taken care of.
Expect the unexpected.
In case anything unexpected pops up, your agent is there for you to resolve any complications. Remember, your agent is experienced and has sold many homes before yours. Instead of worrying, give your agent a call, and they will walk you through the next steps.
You’ve finally made it to the closing! The closing agent as well as the attorney will overlook this process and make sure the buyer understands and signs all necessary paperwork. Your agent will collect keys to the home prior to the closing to give to the buyers once the home is officially theirs!